This is completely normal and rug pads are meant to be trimmed to perfectly fit underneath your area rug.
We suggest taking the following steps to get the perfect trim:
- Pick the perfect spot for your area rug!
- Lay your rug pad down where you'd like your area rug
- Lay your area rug on top of your rug pad
- If possible, leave your rug pad and area rug out for about 24-48 hours to allow all of the creases to relax before trimming
- Once the creases have relaxed, use fabric scissors to
- Vertically trim your rug pad
- Horizontally trim your rug pad
- Vacuum the rug to remove any air-bubbles from trimming the rug pad
- Place your furniture back in place and enjoy your new area rug!